We are a New Haven, CT based non-profit founded in 2000 dedicated to providing opportunities for young people to develop a positive sense of self, and a connection and commitment to others through programs that incorporate environmental exploration, leadership and community service. Here are our stories and adventures.



Introducing...CSP!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Summer has fully arrived and that means Citywide Steward Program has begun! We have a diverse staff, with five adults and four high school interns. They are here, to tell you all about themselves in their own words:

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingHanifa - Director
I've been with Solar Youth almost three years. I hail from Michigan, have lived in Texas, went to college in Wisconsin and took a road trip throughout the entire continental U.S. I worked at Nature's Classroom in Ivoryton, CT for two years, but found that teaching hands on environmental education to urban youth was my calling. This is my third summer program and I'm excited to get started. We're trying out some new curriculum and integrating media (video, audio, this blog) into camp. We have Challenge Days, Urban Adventures and will bring back the classic songs and games that make CSP so much fun! Stay tuned for some Solar-Youth-alicios enjoyment!

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingRose - Assistant Director
This is my first summer program since coming on as Program Manager for Solar Youth in September of last year. I'm from Puerto Rico and came to New Haven to attend Yale. After graduating in 2003, I stayed in town because I just love this city. Previous to Solar Youth, I worked for Jumpstart throughout my college years and taught Headstart in Bridgeport, CT after graduation. I've been planning CSP for months, so I'm excited to put faces to the names on all the applications I've received. I'll be teaching art for the program and am ready to get the ball rolling!

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingGammy - Educator
My name is Gamaliel Moses and I am originally from the eastern Caribbean island of Dominica. I am 21 years old. I came to Solar Youth as a Public Ally in the fall of 2005. I was responsible for being a Team Educator for the Neighborhood Stewards Teams at Hill Central School in New Haven, which is an afterschool program. I am now an Adventure Educator for Solar Youth's Citywide Steward Program, which is a five week long summer program with students from around the city. I am indeed excited and looking forward to a great summer working with the youth, exploring, doing and teaching.



Photobucket - Video and Image HostingClaire - Educator
I am originally from Berkely, CA, but I have spent the last four years at Yale University. I just graduated with a degree in English and I plan on becoming a writer. I am a special educator at Solar Youth through the Yale-China Association, which holds and exchange program I am currently participating in. I just got back from Hong Kong a few weeks ago, which I found to be a surprisingly environmentally-friendly place. I am looking forward to working at Solar Youth, and especially for all of our outings!



Photobucket - Video and Image HostingSonia - Educator
I'm Sonia Kwan, 20, who came from Hong Kong which is an exciting and energetic city in China. In this summer, I'm joining Solar Youth as an Educator through the Yale-China Summer Community Service Exchange Programme. Solar Youth is a warm family with supportive and nice staff. Working with them definitely can teach me a lot! I'm so excited about this summer! In this camp, I hope I can know all of the kids well and give them an unforgettable summer in New Haven! As a Chinese, it is also a golden opportunity for me to explore the American culture and the environment! Here are some of my details and "secrets."
Name: Sonia Kwan Ching Yee
Place of Birth: Hong Kong
Family Status: Dad, Mom and Sis
Normal Hobbies: Reading detective stories (especially at night), swimming (in the evening), playing piano, hanging out with friends
Abnormal Hobbies: Love washing/cleaning the fish and meat before cooking them, love pink colour (everything is pink colour like glasses, pencil bag, t-shirt, files and binders, etc.)

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingNicole - Intern
Hey, y'all. This is Nicole coming at you from Solar Youth. I'm here to give you the basic 4-1-1 on myself. All right, my full name is Nicole Dunnaville and I was born in Queens, NY and later came to live in CT. I am in the 10th grade at the Sound School in New Haven. I have been involved with Solar Youth for four years. I came and attended the Citywide Steward Program that I am interning at this summer. The next summer I attended the Solar Youth Internation program, where they took us to different environmental conferences. After that season, I became involved with the Youth Advisory Group (YAG) of Solar Youth and later became a board member. But before becoming a board member I got the chance to travel to JAPAN with another youth (Javaughn Harris) and the Executive Director, Joanne Sciulli. I can truly say that Solar Youth is amazing!

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingJody - Intern
My name is Jody Ann Purcell. I've just turned 18 years old. I was born in one of the Greater Antilles in the Caribbean, Jamaica. It's a very breathtaking place to go and visit. As for now, I'm living in the United States, whicher I attend Wilbur Cross High School. I've been going there for three years, since I was a freshman. In August I'll be going there to finish up my senion year. Wilbur Cross is a very interesting school to go to, especially if you're into diveristy, because you'll find it there. I first learned about Solar Youth through the Career Center at my high school. One day I was walking back and forth through the halls on my lunch period, because I didn't feel like sitting in the lunch room. Then I walked into the Career Center, and there I saw at least five girls filling out applications for this mystery job I had no clue about. I became curious and someone summarizeds what was going on. I started filling out an application, too. I worked during the fall season for the Neighborhood Steward Teams, then in winter and spring, too. I'll have worked for Solar Youth for a full year after this summer. I have met lots of nice people and really like my job.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingEdward - Intern
Edward is the only intern this summer that didn't work for us during the spring. His charming ways and respectful demeanor got him hired for our CSP program. Although he just graduated from Sheridan Middle School, Edward has a maturity beyond his years. He loves to sing, worked on the school newspaper and has babysat his relatives for years. He'll be a freshman in the fall, with some work experience under his belt, a bit more environmental knowledge and a whole lot of songs that will never leave his brain ("I said a fried chicken wing!"). Although his closeness in age to the campers worries him, we know that his leadership skills will bring the youth to both like and respect him.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingSara - Intern
Hi, my name is Sara Torres and I am an intern at Solar Youth. I was born in Ponce, Puerto Rico fifteen years ago and today I'm interning at Solar Youth! I found out about Solar Youth in School. I go to Sound School. I worked last season at Hill Central School. The thing I like most about Solar Youth is the kids and how we play games. I love my job because the kids make me love Solar Youth and them. This summer I am working once again with Solar Youth as an intern.






Stay tuned for daily blogs from CSP campers!


0 Responses to “Introducing...CSP!”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • I'm joanne
  • From New Haven, CT
  • We are an environmental education and youth development non-profit in New Haven, CT. We engage urban youth in their local environment using our unique program model: Kids Explore! (where youth learn about their local ecology and ecosystems) Kids Do! (where youth identify an environmental problem and utilize youth-led action to solve the issue) Kids Teach! (where youth educate others about what they have learned an accomplished). Our curriculum uses hands-on experiential lessons, games, songs and a dedicated staff to teach environmental concepts, build teamwork skills and empower youth. We run several programs, including our afterschool Steward Teams, in-school Hands-on Outdoor Learning Adventure, and our summer Citywide Steward camp. We also facilitate a Youth Advisory Group (YAG), where dedicated participants take leadership in the organization, including running their own programs and sitting on the Board of Directors. Our high school interns work in youth-adult partnership to run all our out of school programs, learning critical skills for future careers and personal growth. Join us as we share our many adventures and accomplishments with you.
  • For more information about us, check out our website: SolarYouth.org

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3